Thursday, July 06, 2006

Titling hassles

Today I took the Norton chop to the Colorado State VIN inspection place to begin the titling process. Silly me, I thought I was going to walk out of there with a title. Boy, was I naive! It looks like it'll be another 6-8 weeks before I actually get to ride the bike on the open streets, at least legally. Since the bike only has a VIN on the motor and not on the frame, it is a special construction or kit bike. Therefore, it has to go through a VIN research process and then be bonded with a non-refundable surety bond. The good news is that Bones, one of the service department guys at the local Boulder H-D dealership, is a Norton fan and fellow club member. So he's doing the appraisal for me gratis and, hopefully, for a reasonable (personally suggested) amount. The surety bond is a percentage of the appraisal value. The downside of this is that will also be the bike's maximum insurable value. In any case, another learning curve with this project -- but one I was hoping to avoid.

1 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger bruce said...

Do all contractors have to have performance bonds in order to work for you? Before I go ahead with a building contractor to make my new driveway (this will be the second time, the first contractor pretty much took my money and ran), I want to make sure everything is above board and would rather not have to spend £100's of pounds having a solicitor look into it. Are surety bonds something that all UK building firms must hold before starting a job, or is it only in America?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home